COUNTDOWN TO MOVING DAY
Eight weeks before you move
- Obtain a floor plan of your new residence and decide what household items you want to keep.
- Begin an inventory of all household goods.
- Solicit estimates from several moving companies.
- Contact your insurance agent, to ask them about your homeowners policy and determine whether your possessions are covered when moving.
- Establish a file for all moving papers and receipts.
- Arrange to transfer child(ren)’s school records.
- Choose a mover or ask about our moving truck.
Six weeks before you move
- Begin search for good health-care professionals in your new location.
- Fill out a Post-Office change of address card.
- Send your new address to anyone that might need it — insurance agents, credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, friends, relatives, etc.
- Clean out closets and dispose of all items that you will not be taking with you.
- Hold a moving/garage sale or donate items to charities.
- Make a menu plan that works through the food in your pantry, fridge and freezer.
Four weeks before you move
- For self movers, reserve a truck or trailer.
- Obtain necessary moving supplies: boxes, twine, labels, etc.
- Packing Tips
- If your mover is doing the packing, arrange for it to be done one or two days before loading begins.
- Send furniture, drapes and carpets for repair or cleaning as needed.
- Gather valuable personal papers that you may need at your destination location, including medical and dental records, school records, birth certificates, etc.
- Make travel plans and arrange any motel or other reservations.
Three weeks before you move
- Arrange to have utilities (gas, electric, phone, cable, etc.) disconnected in your present home, and connected at your new home.
- Ready car registration and insurance records for transfer.
- Notify State Motor Vehicle Bureau of your new address.
- Arrange for child care on moving day.
- If necessary, reserve apartment elevator for pickup and/or delivery dates.
Two weeks before you move
- Arrange to move pets.
- Check with mover about moving house plants. (Some movers will not move plants.)
- Dispose of all items too dangerous to move, including flammable liquids.
- If necessary, have your automobile serviced and ready for the trip.
One week before you move
- Transfer all bank accounts if necessary.
- Cancel newspaper delivery.
- Have enough medication to last at least two weeks. Have prescriptions forwarded to a pharmacy at your new destination.
- Make arrangements to pay for your move.
- Withdraw items and close safety deposit boxes.
Two days before you move
- Have mover pack your goods (unless doing it yourself).
- Defrost and dry refrigerators and freezers to be moved.
- Set aside valuable items to carry with you including jewelry, vital documents, money and valuable small items.
- Be on hand to answer questions and give directions to movers and stay until they are finished.
- Accompany driver for inventory of your household goods.
- Complete information on bill of lading and carefully read the document before you sign it.
- Make sure you have your copies of the bill of lading and inventory.
- Keep the bill of lading until your possessions are delivered, the charges are paid, and any claims are settled.
- Before the van leaves, take one final look through the house to make certain nothing has been left behind.
- Give the driver directions to your new home.